Since this is my very first blog EVER, I think I might start out with a little bit of background and what you might be able to expect from me so you will know if you want to just turn around and run away. Or maybe just close the tab?
Anywho....
I have a wide variety of things that I do...or try to do. I am a nerdy biologist, I paint, attempt to sew, play the flute, have a cosmetology license, and oh yeah, enjoy cars :).
I'll try to keep my car history short mostly because I am sure I'll bring most of the stories up at some other point.
Growing up cars where nothing other than transportation. My father is a computer nerd and my brothers are musicians so I had no relatives that were into cars. And I, like many other clueless people, liked a car because it was a specific color. The only memory involving cars as a kid that I have involve what I might think is an old volvo, that had reverse back seats. My older brother and I would sit in them and when it would lightly snow at night it would look like we were going through space really fast. Yeah, we played Star Wars....
My first car was a Hachi Roku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AE86) but automatic, American, and an SR-5. But I knew nothing of cars so of course I didn't care about it and it met it's timely end by running it ~40 miles without oil. I then went through many freebies including an oldsmobile cutlass supreme, geo prizm, and a geo metro which I first learned how to drive stick on. Based on these as well as a few severe car accidents, you can see why I might then buy an Avalon and not enjoy cars so much.
This was then my car during college. I did not really get into working on my car(s) until I found out about autocross. My boyfriend, Jared, got a free Integra from our landlord. Good deal right? Well, it only ran on 3 cylinders but somehow Jared managed to win his class in his first autocross at the college. He had at one point managed to convince me to "co-pilot" during a run and well...I was hooked at that point, I had to race!
So, I then was autocrossing random cars that Jared and my friends would have. this included CRX, MR2, RX7, Miata, Festiva and some others I have forgotten. Inevitably, cars break and need fixing. Jared's attitude toward that was if I was going to autocross it, I needed to fix it. So, I have learned how to fix the random things that have broken throughout the years.
I might want to mention my little nicknames for some cars in case I slip and use the names without clearification.
RX-8 = Prescription 8
RX-7 = 7
MR2 = Mr. 2
Miata = Miotter
3000gt = Boogie-a-T
corolla = Hachi Roku
There may be others but I cannot remember them at the moment.
So, the point of this blog is that I although I have autocrossed during college and at a couple of BMW meets(NOT driving a BMW)I have never competed in SCCA for several reasons a couple including that is it expensive and that I didn't have my own car to race. BUT, now I have a job, an RX-8, and motivation! The season starts this weekend so let the blogging begin!!
No comments:
Post a Comment